In this tutorial I am going to show you how to hide the Level field in InDesign. We aren't removing it… we're just making it small and invisible!
- Notice the Level and Divider 2 are visible.
1. Create New Character Style
NOTE if you have already created the "Hide" Character Style, you can skip to step 4.
- Open the Character Styles Panel by going to Window > Styles > Character Styles
- Select: Create New Style Button
- Double click on: Character Style 3 (or whatever the newest Character Style is called)
2. Update Basic Character Formats
- Change Style Name to: Hide
- Select: Basic Character Formats
- Add Size: 0.1pt
3. Update Character Color
- Select: Character Color
- Set Fill: [none]
- Set Stroke: [none]
- Press: OK
4. Preferences Script
1. Open the Scripts panel by going to Window > Utilities > Scripts
2. Activate Preferences.jsx by double-clicking on it.
5. Set Character Styles
- Apply the style Hide to the fields you want to hide. In this case the Level and Divider 2 fields.
- Press: OK to apply
Notice the Level and Divider 2 have disappeared to the eye. Feel free to resize the sign tags as you see fit.