This tutorial explains how to use the Preferences Script to apply Character Styles. This will allow you to apply different styles to each of the fields globally across your project's Location Plans in InDesign.
Note that this functionality replaces the old Style script.
In this example I am going to apply a bold style and magenta colour to the Type field of all of the signs.
Currently, there are no style applied to the characters in the signs.
1. Create Character Style
NOTE: If you already have the Character Style that you want to apply, you can skip this step
1. Open up the Character Style Panel by going to Window > Styles > Character Styles
2. Click the New Style Button
3. Edit the Style to your preferences. We are going to change the Character Colour to Magenta and the Basic Character Style to BOLD
2. Select Script
- Open the Scripts Panel by going to Window > Utilities > Scripts
- Select Preferences.jsx script
3. Match Character Style to Field
- Click in drop-down beside field name and choose what style you want to apply. For this example, we're applying "New Style" to Type. Make sure the checkbox is marked as well.
- Press OK button to apply the selected styles.
Voila! The New Style has a bold character style and magenta character colour, which has been applied to the sign type on all sign ID's across the project
InDesign User Manual: Paragraph and character styles