This tutorial will tell you how to display sign artwork from your SignAgent Pro™ database directly on your location plans in InDesign.
Note that we have this feature supports images in PNG, JPG, and PDF formats, officially. Other image formats may work, but have not been tested extensively by SignAgent staff.
1. Add Artwork in FileMaker
There are 3 ways to do this...
1. Right-click (or ctrl-click on Mac) in the Artwork field, and select Insert Picture. Then select the image from the dialog box that shows up.
2. Select the image in Finder and copy it. Then select the Artwork field in FileMaker and paste.
3. Click and drag the image from Finder into the FileMaker database.
Note that if you'd like to move artwork around within FileMaker, you can click and drag to move it from record to record. You can also hold down option (alt on PC) and click and drag to duplicate the image.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're looking for the image to add, do NOT take the image directly from the Links/Sign/Artwork folder in your SignAgent Pro™ folder. This creates a circular reference and a whole bunch of problems.
ALSO ensure that no two images have exactly the same name. This also creates problems with referencing.
Once you're images are in, start your Sync from InDesign.
3. Expand your Sign Tags to see images
After the sync is completed, you should be able to just expand your sign tags, and the images will appear! A couple of tips...
1. PDFs give the best results, from our testing... they're the most reliable, and give good quality. As you can see, PNGs are a bit more dicey, depending on how they're prepared.
2. You are able to resize the images in InDesign, but they will return to their original size when you sync. Keep this in mind when you prepare your images.
3. You may be interested in hiding any extraneous information, using the Style script... check out a tutorial on that here: Style - Hide Field in InDesign