It's often a good idea to make a duplicate of a report layout before serious editing...This tutorial will teach you how to duplicate an existing report, change the name, and properly integrate it into your REPORTS table.
In this example, we're going to make a copy of our regular message schedule to create a visual message schedule by replacing the Message Field with the first Picture field
1. Go into Report Layout Mode
In the SIGN table...
1. Click --Reports--
2. Select the Report you'd like to Duplicate... In this example, let's choose the Message Schedule. (Note that you can pick whichever sort order you like, it doesn't matter)
3. Click Edit
4. Click "Preview" and select "Layout" from the drop-down list. (Alternatively, you can press command + L on Mac or ctrl + L on PC)
2. Go to Manage Layouts
Once you're in Layout mode for your selected Report...
1. Click the button to Show the Status Toolbar
2. Where the name of your current layout is displayed, choose Manage Layouts... from the drop-down list.
Alternatively, you can go to View > Go to Layout > Manage Layouts
3. Duplicate the Layout
In the Manage Layouts dialog box...
1. Select the layout you'd like to duplicate (Message Schedule, for this example)
2. Click Duplicate
4. Edit the New Layout Title
1. Select the duplicated layout (it should have the original layout name followed by "Copy")
2. Click Edit
3. Change the layout name to whatever you like.
4. Click OK
5. Go to the New Layout and start Editing!
NOTE: You are NOT currently in your new layout... you need to make sure you actually switch to your newly created layout before making any changes. To do this...
1. Click the Layout Title, and in the drop-down list that shows up, and under Reports, choose your new Layout.
Alternatively, you can go to View > Go to Layout > Reports > and choose your new Layout.
2. Make any changes that you'd like!
6. Making any changes that you like.
In case you're interested in following this example through, here's what I did to make this into a more visual message schedule...
1. Changed the title in the header to "Visual Message Schedule" (double-click on the merge field, and just change the text)
2. Changed the header for the 2nd column to "Picture" (double-click on the text field, and change the text)
3. Changed the field for the 2nd column to "Picture2", which is the 1st picture column. (double-click on the field and select Picture2)
I also reduced the height of the field, and set the picture alignment to "Top" (In the inspector (cmd + I), under the Data tab, near the bottom, under "Data Formatting", change the Alignment
4. Deleted the existing "Picture" field, (Selected Picture field and pressed delete) and moved the thin grey line up to just below the end of the existing fields. (Just click and drag... if you hold shift, it will maintain its horizontal position.)
5. Reduced the height of the body. (Select the body section by clicking where it says "Body" and then adjust the height in the Position tab in the Inspector. Alternatively, just click the bottom edge of the body field and drag upwards)
Make sure you check how the report looks visually by switching back to Preview mode (cmd + U)
7. Add to the REPORTS Table
The final step is to add your new layout to the REPORTS table.
1. Name: You can call your new Report whatever you like! This is how it will be displayed in the Navigator window when you click --Reports-- in the SIGN Table
2. Layout: Choose your new layout from the drop-down list here. It's best to choose from the list, as the name must match your layout name exactly.
3. Page Size: The Size that your report will display and print at.
4. Sort Order: Add a new record (row) for each sort-order you'd like to include. You can just pick from the drop-down list when you click in the field.
5. Notes: Any notes you'd like to add for future reference.
Your new Visual Message Schedule report is now featured in the Navigator, and you didn't lose your old Message Schedule. What a great day!