This tutorial will teach you how to add thumbnails to your type table, thus allowing them to be displayed in your dropdown lists.
Export Sign Layout to PDF
In order to add the layout as a thumbnail, we will have to first save the layout as an image file format.
The first step in that process is exporting the Template layout to a PDF.
1. Click the Print Preview button in the SIGN table
2. Select the Preview template (or the template that most accurately represents the appearance of your sign)
3. Click on the small printer icon in the top right corner of the Navigator window
In the Print Screen
1. Select the PDF Dropdown
2. Save as PDF...
3. After saving as a PDF you can exit the Print dialog
Export to PNG from Illustrator
Open up your PDF in Adobe Illustrator
1. Go to the File Menu
2. Select Export...
1. Select where you would like to save the picture to (we suggest creating a designated folder in the Links folder)
2. Set format to JPEG (jpg)
Insert JPEG to thumbnail field
1. Go to the TYPE table
2. Find the sign type
3. Select the Thumbnail tab
4. Right-click (or ctrl+click) on the white box and select Insert Picture. Then simply select the picture from the location you saved it and voila! The thumbnail will now appear in all type-dropdown lists.